Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Influences of Assessments

1960's: I loved the Iowa tests. We sat at every other seat at the long tables in the cafeteria. The entire school took the tests at the same time. I felt especially smart because I was done before the other students.

1970's: The SAT's unnerved me. I did not feel prepared for college, so ended up taking a job (and immediately entering night school). Turns out my scores were not so bad.

1980's: The 80's were a blur... no assessments except for those associated with childbirth. I did particularly well with the ultrasound.

1990's: I loved the Miller's. Time to change vocation from industry to stay-at-home-mom to teacher. Ready to move forward.

2000's: OK - now I administer the tests that I loved so in the 1960's. Making sure that the special ed population I taught received all the modifications admissible from the state was so important to me. I want the students to feel as good about testing as I did as a little girl.

and beyond: Now I'm checking in tests, creating test schedules, training special ed teachers and instructional aides how they can best support their students in high stake testing situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment