Sunday, April 19, 2009

Curricular Evaluation

I think there are quite a few factors at stake when evaluating a curriculum. The factors should include whether a curriculum is valid and reliable.

Does it do what it is supposed to do?
  • Are students learning from the curriculum?
  • How can you tell?
Is it a breathing, usable document?
  • How is it updated?
  • Why is it updated?
Factors at stake include everything from failure to funding. Learning is THE major factor.

Since I was assigned to research Robert Stake's Countenance Model of 1967, I think that his approach to the evaluation of curriculum was amazing for the time. Reading his paper on evaluation of curriculum made me think of my schooling in 1967. I believe that his approach was new and fresh for the time. I believe that curriculum evaluation in 2009 has changed as leaders in the field have developed new approaches to critiquing curriculum.

I am reminded of the original New Jersey law that set forth the promise of education. At the time it was new and fresh. It was also true, and remains true. As time has passed since the late 1800's, educational leaders have developed new approaches, but the original doctrine and purpose remains the same.

I think Stake's model must be laborious to efficiently utilize, although his concepts are on target.

No comments:

Post a Comment