Sunday, April 26, 2009

Student Generated Post #2 OR What tools can I use?

It is nearing the end of the semester and I am pondering the information that we have discussed since January.
  • Assessments- they're not just for grading purposes
  • Data-when can't we use data?
  • Standardized tests-they're everywhere, and used for all reasons
  • NJCCCS
  • NCLB
  • Curriculum
  • 21st Century Skills
...and this is only a portion of the content.
Now comes the interesting (and sometimes difficult) part.
  • diigo
  • wiki
  • google docs
  • google reader
  • blogger
  • twitter
  • slidelicious
  • skype
  • screen casts
Here is my question: What tools can I use?
  • Assessments- in my position in the child study team, virtually everything is about assessment; after all, we assess struggling students to see if they qualify for special education and related services, as well as to determine what access, delivery, technical assistance, etc. they may need to come to their full learning potential.
  • Data-in any position in education, data is the score or answer used to direct the course of action.
  • Standardized tests-the first round of NJASK starts tomorrow. I think we all feel the anxiety...
  • NJCCCS- when I mentioned to a colleague that the standards were being revised, she said, "already?"
  • NCLB- I'm not too sure how long NCLB will be with us, but I now understand the ramifications of standardized testing=AYP=funding.
  • Curriculum-I love the UbD model of curricular development, and hope that I can have some input when my district writes new curriculum.
  • 21st Century Skills- @ first I thought that this really just meant the second list I posted in this blog. I realize that it is much more than that.
I'd like to comment on Erin's post: Her question was how could she differentiate? Her answer was to hire a secretary. I laughed out loud. Trying to teach to all the levels of students in a class is a daunting task at best. You hope that one of the strategies you thought up would work for a small cluster of students. You wish you had more time and direct guidance to figure out a new strategy now that the old one doesn't work anymore. You pray that the main office asks if you need any copying done, because they have a sub with an open period at the end of the day. I wonder what will happen when every student will be required to have an individualized plan. Oops - that's another question!

No comments:

Post a Comment